Tuesday, November 4, 2014

To the pregnant couple in Target

To the pregnant couple in Target...
Please think before you judge someone  and proceed to talk about that person when they are right in front of you! Thankfully I could care less and laugh it off but not everyone would.
From a very tired mommy!

Sunday afternoon I had to make a quick run to Target to pick up baby girls prescription and soft food for a week. Lets just say baby girl took a really hard fall Saturday afternoon and split her inside lip all the way to top of her gum wide open :(


First I never go to Target on the weekend, much less any store. I like to go when they open first thing in the morning and be finished with it. The store was packed with everyone stocking up on 50% off Halloween candy and normal afternoon craziness.
Second I was extremely tired, baby girl had been up most of the night in pain therefore no one slept!
I picked up her prescription then had to find soft food that she could eat for the week--no chicken nuggets :( no cereal :( no oranges :( none of her favorite foods.
I go to check out and the cute pregnant couple that had all organic food in their basket proceeded to discuss my selection. I have to admit I had 7 different types of pasta (one which was organic, one was Kraft, and one was Target), ice cream, pudding, yogurts, applesauce, smoothies, etc.. it really didn't look that healthy. They went on to discuss her gestational diabetes test she would be having this week loud enough for everyone around them to hear and then comment she would never pass eating that (yes my food). By then the cashier was even staring at them. I turned, smiled, and asked if this was their first. Surprise, yes it was! I said how sweet, good luck! What I wanted to say was Bless Your Heart, enjoy your sleep tonight because you may never get another good one again. Did I mention I was very tired! I turned to the cashier who recognized me from being in Target way too much and she asked how the twins were. I said all of this was for baby girl who is on a soft food diet for 7 long days. I swear the couple fell over behind me. The husband responded by saying that was the food for a baby.  I turned to them and said you will understand one day, when your child gets such a severe injury and you are trying to get her to eat food that will not cause her pain you will buy ANYTHING!!!! Anything including Target brand macaroni and cheese that is in the shape of butterflies, heart, and flowers so she will smile. She will also get pudding pops for breakfast to help the swelling part go down since it is the only way I can get her to hold something cold on her lip. I am sure they loved it when I told them the greatest part is her twin brother will get to eat all this junk right along with her!

The cashier and I talked for a few more minutes while she took her time ringing me up. I looked back and wished the couple good luck on her test this week and not to worry this is the easy part.
As I walked away I thought good for them for taking such good care of themselves and for loving this baby so much that they are making the right choices for him/her already. I said a little prayer that she may have a safe delivery. I also prayed that I could use this lesson to teach my boys how even as adults people tear each other down and we have to be so careful with our words. And yes that at school their feelings could get hurt or they may hurt each other with simple words or even just by their looks. Sometimes the looks are worse then words.

I still had to laugh at more random thoughts in my head...I should have told them this was for baby #4 of my 5 kids. Or that I was going to sit there and share all the ice cream with her. But instead I went on my way, loaded up my gas guzzling suburban, and headed home. I was still in awe that people have no problem judging you so publicly! Maybe I should have shown them baby girls picture, maybe then they would not have been so quickly to judge what is in someone else's shopping cart!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment