Thursday, August 14, 2014

Prayers for Sarah

This week I was taking a break from our weekly update to focus on one sweet girl and ask you all to keep her in your prayers as she begins her journey to Kenya. We just love this girl and we are so excited to follow her in her journey. Sarah graduated from high school a few months ago and instead of packing to head off to college this week she is packing to spend a year in Kenya. What a heart she has to serve our God in this way.

This was taken from Sarah's blog telling about her desire to serve over there. You can follow along with her on this journey at http://sarahandpageinkenya.weebly.com/sarah-in-Kenya. Please join me in prayer for Sarah and also for her family as they send her off to Kenya for a year.


....As I began the process of looking and filling out applications for the perfect college to begin my perfect American dream life I knew that was not what God had planned for me.

I took my first trip to Kenya after my freshman year of high school (summer of 2011). Throughout the two weeks I spent in Kenya I saw hurt, poverty (to a level that's uncomprehendable) sickness, thirst and hunger. However, I saw something greater, something that didn't fit with all the bad stuff I had seen all around...I saw joy. I saw joy in children's faces as they put their hands on a barbed wire fence to climb and jump around with excitement that we were coming to see them. I saw joy in a mother when we came to her house to pray over her son that had been ill for months. I saw joy in children's faces when we played soccer, volleyball and even ran a little bit of track (Ha!) with them! You would think that the hunger, sickness and poverty would stop them from being such joyful people. However, I believe that's where we have messed up, we have not experienced the joy they have. We have not experienced the joy in having practically nothing but the one who created us, sustains us and will love us into eternity. Have we experienced true joy?

In the summer of 2013 I went on my second trip to Kenya. It was so warming to my heart to see and talk to some of the same people I had sat with, visited with, and prayed with just two short years earlier. When I left Kenya after those two weeks I had no idea if I'd ever be back. But boy let me tell you, God had one heck of a plan.

I knew God was calling me to serve in Kenya.

Throughout these past eight months I have learned so much. I have created some amazing friendships that I am beyond thankful for. I have been in positions that I have wanted to be a part of my whole life.

This...these are the things that make it hard. These are the things that make following  God's call for my life so hard.

So, in the next short 37 days I will be packing up my simple life and boarding  a plane with Page to follow an amazing, unique and wonderful mission that God designed exactly for Page & I to bring glory and honor to him in Kenya.

This is our mission & this is just the beginning of the journey...


The Bratager 7 will be praying for you Sarah!!
We are so excited to see how
 God is going to use you in such an incredible way!



No comments:

Post a Comment